Garden gazebos can be a great feature to add to your outdoor space that will make it more comfortable and attractive.
After all, your garden is the best place to relax in after a hard day’s work, so why not invest in a gazebo to make relaxing in your garden as enjoyable as possible?
This blog outlines the different gazebo options available and gives some expert hints and tips on how to build a garden gazebo that will raise the look, functionality and comfort for your outdoor space.
Why invest in a garden gazebo?
A gazebo is the perfect way to enhance your garden’s appearance, as well as giving you an additional place to rest, eat, and spend quality time with your loved ones.
There are many benefits of installing a new garden gazebo in your outdoor property. Not only can they look attractive but they are also practical and will help you enjoy your garden to its fullest extent.
Some additional benefits of garden gazebos include:
- Aesthetic appeal: A garden gazebo can enhance the look and feel of your outdoor space. It can add a touch of elegance and charm, creating a welcoming ambiance for your guests.
- Protection from the elements: A garden gazebo can provide shade and shelter from the sun, rain, and wind, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor space in all weather conditions.
- Increased property value: A well-designed and well-maintained garden gazebo can increase the value of your property, making it more attractive to potential buyers.
- Versatility: A garden gazebo can be used for a variety of purposes, such as hosting outdoor events, dining, relaxing, or as a place to read or meditate.
- Privacy: A garden gazebo can provide a sense of privacy and seclusion, allowing you to enjoy your outdoor space without feeling exposed to your neighbors or passersby.
- Health benefits: Spending time outdoors in a garden gazebo can have numerous health benefits, including stress reduction, improved mood, and increased Vitamin D intake.
Despite the many benefits of gazebos, it’s important to note that not every gazebo is cut from the same cloth.
Whether it ends up enhancing or becoming a detriment to your landscape depends on how well you can integrate it. The key factor, then, is knowing exactly what you’re doing once you do decide to implement a new garden gazebo.
Fear not, however, as Landscape Brothers are here to support you throughout the process with our exceptional garden landscaping knowledge that will ensure you end up with the perfect gazebo for your outdoor space.
What to consider when buying a new gazebo
The first and most important thing you’ll need to consider when buying or building a new gazebo is the material.
Among the most popular choices of materials needed to build a gazebo are:
Let’s look at all of these options in more detail.
Wooden garden gazebos
Wood is a classic choice that will look great in most gardens and seamlessly integrate into the natural surroundings of your outdoor space. The natural beauty and warmth of wood can play a key role in enhancing the overall look and feel of your garden .
Of course, different types of wood have different properties, so depending on whether you choose pine, cedar, redwood, or any other type of wood, you’ll be dealing with a different level of softness, colour, longevity, and resistance to environmental factors.
Wooden gazebos are also available in a range of styles and designs, from rustic to modern, making them versatile in terms of fitting in with different garden styles and themes.
Wooden garden gazebos offer several advantages which make it an attractive option, including:
- More aesthetically pleasing than other materials
- Wood is a natural insulator and can help to keep the interior of the gazebo cooler in hot weather and warmer in cooler weather
- Wood is a renewable resource, making it an environmentally friendly option
- Longevity: A wooden gazebo can last for many years with proper care and maintenance making it a sustainable choice for an outdoor structure.
- Can be customised to suit individual tastes and preferences.
However, despite the many advantages, if you live in a damp area and don’t want to risk exposing your gazebo to rot, metal and vinyl might be better options for you compared to a wooden gazebo.
Metal garden gazebos
If you’re thinking of building a metal gazebo, cast aluminium, steel and wrought iron are the most commonly chosen options, the latter two of which are particularly long-lasting.
Metal garden gazebos come in various sizes and styles, from simple and functional to elaborate and ornate. Some are designed to be permanent fixtures in a garden or backyard, while others can be easily assembled and disassembled for seasonal use or storage. Like other gazebos, metal gazebos provide a comfortable and inviting area for relaxing, entertaining, or simply enjoying the beauty of nature.
When choosing a metal garden gazebo, it's important to consider factors such as the size of the structure, the style and design, the durability of the metal, and the overall cost. Additionally, it's important to ensure that the gazebo is anchored securely to the ground to prevent it from tipping over or being damaged in high winds.
Keep in mind, however, that these gazebos are usually darker in colour and are, for the most part, open-roofed, so while they’ll serve as a nice place for your plants to overgrow, they won’t provide you with much protection from the weather.
So, whilst metal garden gazebos can be a beautiful and functional addition to any outdoor space, they may not be ideal for those who want to spend a lot of time outdoors in all-weather types.
Vinyl garden gazebos
Vinyl gazebos are a versatile option that combines the best of both worlds, giving you plenty of freedom when it comes to design, as well as resistance to various weather conditions.
Garden gazebos made from vinyl are often chosen for their durability and low maintenance requirements. As vinyl is a type of plastic that is resistant to moisture, insects, and rot, it is an ideal material for outdoor structures that are exposed to the elements.
In terms of design and style, you can purchase vinyl garden gazebos in a variety of shapes and sizes, from simple and functional to elaborate and ornate. They can be installed as permanent fixtures or come with the option of assembling and disassembling for seasonal usage.
Overall, vinyl garden gazebos can be a practical and attractive addition to any outdoor space. They provide a comfortable and inviting area for relaxing in. Plus. vinyl gazebos will properly protect you from the elements whilst remaining low-maintenance and easy to care for.
Style and design of your gazebo
Material isn’t the only thing to consider when purchasing or building a new garden gazebo. Other important factors are the style and design of your gazebo.
Whilst open-roofed gazebos are a great option for many, if you want to spend time in your gazebo even when it’s raining, an enclosed gazebo is what you need!
Both options have different advantages depending on your specific needs and preferences.
Some of the main advantages of enclosed garden gazebos are:
- Increased Privacy: Enclosed gazebos offer more privacy compared to open-roofed gazebos as they can be completely closed off from outside view.
- Protection from the Elements: Enclosed gazebos offer protection from the elements such as rain, wind, and harsh sunlight. This makes them a great option for areas with unpredictable weather or where the sun can be particularly harsh.
- More Versatility: Enclosed gazebos are more versatile than open-roofed gazebos as they can be used for a wider range of activities. You can use it as a home office, workout space, or even as a guest room!
- More Comfortable: Enclosed gazebos are more comfortable than open-roofed gazebos as they can be equipped with heating and cooling systems, making them usable year-round.
When it comes to open-roofed garden gazebos, some of the advantages include:
- Aesthetically pleasing: Open-roofed gazebos offer a more natural and aesthetically pleasing look, blending seamlessly into the environment. They also offer uninterrupted views of the sky and surrounding landscape.
- More airy and open: Open-roofed gazebos provide a more open and airy feeling, which can be great for outdoor entertaining or relaxing.
- Less expensive: Open-roofed gazebos are generally less expensive to build and maintain than enclosed gazebos.
Ultimately, the choice between an enclosed gazebo and an open-roofed gazebo depends on your specific preferences and budget. Your local climate should also be taken into consideration, as should your available garden space.
Both are fantastic options and will offer a welcoming place for homeowners to rest, unwind and enjoy the beautiful outdoors.
Bespoke Garden Gazebos from Landscape Brothers
There are also many additional options available when designing your garden gazebo that can help make it more bespoke and personal to your wants and requirements. For example, you can opt for movable screens or make your gazebo completely enclosed - it’s all up to you!
If you’d like expert advice on purchasing, designing and installing a new garden gazebo then why not book a consultation with the Landscape Brothers team?
We’ll offer our no obligation advice and help you take a step towards a beautiful new garden with a space specifically designed with your relaxation in mind.